A great gluten free dinner idea that I found and slightly altered from simply gluten free. This looked so good, and is a mixture of healthy and comfort food.
- 4 cups chopped butternut squash
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounce gluten free penne pasta
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 glove garlic, grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Place the butternut squash in a saucepan, cover with water, add ½ teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Boil until the squash is very tender; about 15 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the pasta – bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the directions. Remove about 2 cups of the pasta water, drain the rest and return the pasta to the hot pot.
- When the squash is very tender, drain off the water and return the squash to the hot pot. Mash the squash with a potato masher until fairly smooth. Add the nutmeg, rosemary, and garlic and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes to meld the flavors. Stir in the Parmesan. Add the squash mixture to the pasta with about ¾ cup of the reserved pasta water. Stir to combine and add more water, a little at a time, if needed until the sauce is creamy.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve the pasta topped with some chopped walnuts and dried cranberries.