[Valid Atom 1.0]

Monday, January 28, 2013

Emotional Waste

This image is public domain
Having had situational depression, I can honestly say that it is probably the biggest waste of my emotional energy.  The only reason that I say this is that it doesn't help anything.  Depression can be an easy state to fall into when something good or bad happens in one’s life.  When one is depressed they lose energy for everything else.  That also means they are not fixing what caused the depression in the first place.  I have gotten depressed over the loss of my pregnancies, over the loss of friends and sometimes even when something great happens if that something great is life changing.  For me depression doesn't last long.  However, currently I am caught between depression and acceptance for my ectopic pregnancy.  Every time I think I am over it something will happen that makes me realize that I have not let it go.  Knowing that nothing I can do will change the situation it leads back to depression. 


During these times I try to push through and deal with life anyway I can.  I will bury myself in schoolwork or read books; however, those are not helping to mitigate the original situation.  Depression is a natural response and perfectly healthy in some situations, it should only last for short periods of time.  It is also a large waste of emotional energy. 

One of the reasons for depression is being unable to deal with a situation.  Getting angry didn’t help, or you don’t have anyone to talk to about what is going on.  Depression can also make one feel that they are not cared about, or that people are talking behind their back.  Most times this is not the case.  The best way to handle this is to talk to those around you and let them know what is going on.  If you have talked to everyone and still find yourself depressed over something then it might be time to seek help from a professional. 
Asking for help does not make you weak; let me put it the way it was put to me when I helped others.  When a person breaks a leg, they do not sit around and think that they can fix it themselves.  They seek help from a medical professional.  The mind can be the same way.  Sometimes without help the issue will only fester and become a much larger issue.  

This brings us to today’s NaBloPoMo Prompt “What emotion do you think is the biggest waste of energy and why?”

Question of the hour!

Have you ever been depressed?


No comments:

Post a Comment