[Valid Atom 1.0]

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cheese stuffed shells? Umm Nope!!!



I wanted to try another recipe and had located a great one online   The recipe they gave me looked fantastic, I thought it would be a great treat for my family and got started on getting the ingredients.  Here is the down side; I was not able to find everything I was looking for.  So I thought that I would roll the ingredients in lasagna noodles since I couldn't find the GF shell noodles.  This did not work out the way I had planned.  The original recipe is found on  http://celiac-disease.com and goes as follows:


stuffed shells
What it is supposed to look like!

Cheesy Stuffed Shells ~ Gluten-Free
  • 1 box Tinkyada Large/Jumbo Shells (box is about 8 oz and has roughly 28+ or – shells)
  • 30 oz. Ricotta Cheese (I used low-fat Meijer brand)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used part-skim)
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (split in half)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • pinch of black pepper
  • 1 tsp basil, dried
  • 1 tsp oregano, dried
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I used Prego Three Cheese, but like Classico Four Cheese, too)
  • Fresh Basil, chopped, to sprinkle on top when done baking
Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to box directions. Note: Tinkyada suggests cutting cooking time by 2 min if you plan on baking.
  2. Combine ricotta cheese, eggs, dried spices, 1/4 cup of parmesan and 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese. Mix well and set aside.
  3. Heat sauce in pan on stove.
  4. Assembly….Pour sauce into a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish sprayed with Pam; spoon a thin layer of sauce across the bottom. Scoop 1-2 TBSP of cheese mixture into each shell and place in dish. Repeat until finished. Pour remaining sauce over top and top with remaining parmesan & mozzarella.
  5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, covered. Remove covers and back for another 5-10 minutes.
  6. Top with freshly cut basil and serve!
Nailed it!!!!


What I ended up having to do is make a cheesy noodle pile.  It works like lasagna only it doesn't set up correctly due to me cutting the noodles since I was intending to roll them.   I ended up laying the ingredients, and when it was done cooking it fell apart and ended up a giant pile of food.  It tasted good, but it was not what I was hoping for.   Well I guess every recipe can't work out the way one would hope.  This is the last time I try to experiment without having the right ingredients.  The good news is that both the Cheesy noodle pile and the Cheese stuffed shells are gluten free and I am sure that the Shells would have been fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment