[Valid Atom 1.0]

Thursday, November 22, 2012

A time of thanks!

Today big feast day in the United States, the day when we gather with friends and/or family and enjoy a meal.  At least this is what some are doing, some are fighting overseas unable to be with their loved ones,  others are lost and unable to be with friends or loved ones, due to housing situations, financial reasons, or other darker issues.  I for one am thankful that I am lucky enough this thanksgiving to be one of the ones that will be able to be surrounded by loved ones.  I will miss many friends and family who live in other states.  I hope they know that I am thinking about them.  

Fun thanksgiving facts:

· The first Thanksgiving celebration lasted three days. 
· Thanksgiving started in 1621
· Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pies, milk, and cranberries were probably not foods present on the first Thanksgiving's feast table.
·  Lobster, rabbit, chicken, fish, squashes, beans, chestnuts, hickory nuts, onions, leeks, dried fruits, maple syrup and honey, radishes, cabbage, carrots, eggs, and goat cheese are what is commonly thought to be the first thanksgiving dinner. 
· Turkey came to be a thanksgiving food much later in time.  
· There is one official thanksgiving song that most will not guess.  Jingle bells was written and sung on thanksgiving long before it became associated with Christmas.   

 I spent all of today/yesterday, due to the current time, getting ready for Thanksgiving; I got most of everything pre-prepared
The appetizers are almost ready,
The jalapeƱo poppers are ready to go into the oven,
The meat and cheese platter is ready (I cheated and bought it)
The deviled eggs will be ready tomorrow morning. 
I have the Green bean casserole just about ready to throw into the oven (it just needs the topping)
 The turkey is defrosted,
The wax beans mixture has been cooked,
 The pies are finished
 And the asparagus only needs to be laid out and roasted. 
This still leaves a lot for tomorrow but at least I won’t be rushed.
  
While I was doing some of this I was thinking about everything I have to be thankful for.  
List of things I am thankful for:

I am thankful for my husband who every day makes me laugh even if I don't want to.
 
I am thankful for my family, as unconventional as they are I love each and every one of them those close and those far away.
 
I am thankful for some amazing friends who have been there no matter how stupid I think they are throughout the year or how stupid I have been.
 
I am thankful that we are able to have such an amazing feast for our friends and family. 
 
I am thankful that we have a stable income into the household.
 
I am thankful to be alive.  This was not a sure thing this time 8 months ago, when I was bleeding to death internally and had no idea.  
 
 I and those I love have been through so much over the past year and I am taking this time to be thankful for each and every moment that I am able to spend with those who mean so much to me.      

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment