[Valid Atom 1.0]

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Obtaining Medical Records

As I said in the last post.  There was an error in my medical records, one I would have caught had I obtained a copy of my medical records instead of trusting that everything was where it should be.  This is a lesson to each of us.  Make sure that you get a copy of your medical records when you have a major diagnosis happen.  This way you have a copy for yourself as well as proof should you ever need to move to a new doctor.  While a new doctor can get your medical records it does take time.


Make sure that you get a copy of your full medical file after a major diagnosis.

Read the medical file that you obtained to ensure that all the correct information is listed.

keep your medical file in a safe and easy to access location so that you have it with you should a disaster occur.

If major changes are made to your medical file be sure to update what you have on hand.  It never hurts to make sure that you are covered.

I think this calls under a cover your butt category.  This is to ensure that no matter what occurs, you have the power and the knowledge about yourself so that mistakes will happen less frequently.  I have learned my lesson and I think that from now on I will be getting a copy of every new diagnosis or issue.

There is going to be paperwork to fill out.  That is more than fine, the time it takes for the paperwork may save you a lot more time in the long run.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment