[Valid Atom 1.0]

Friday, December 14, 2012

Vigilant Eats Superfood Cereal-Review

Recently I was asked to review Vigilant Eats, Superfood oat-based cereal.  The claim is that this is a convenient, on the go cereal that is organic, gluten free, vegan, non GMO, high antioxidant, and low glycemic index cereal that offers superior nutritional integrity. It is convenient in that it is prepackaged and all you need to do is add liquid to it and it is ready to eat.  It also comes with its own spoon so it is grab and go ready at all times. 

The box arrives and I am excited to do my review.  I open up the box and was less than overwhelmed by the cereals’ packaging.  Let’s hear it for a basic scientific drawing, on an orange and white background, with what the food stands for.  However, I have learned the package does not make the product.  I received the Goji-Cacao flavor.  I read the top of the container and it suggests cold water, milk, or hot water.  Since I was only provided one package to review, I ended up splitting the contents of the container into three separate bowls.  I tried it each way and quickly discovered a preference. 

While this can be eaten as a cold cereal, I found that it works much better as conveniently packaged hot oatmeal.  Because that is what it tasted like.  However, it was really good oatmeal and I am not knocking that.  The plain water tasted like cold oatmeal and adding the milk made it a little too creamy for me since they already added hempmilk powder to it. Also, getting the right amount of liquid into the cereal was a challenge.  There is no marker on the inside of the cup and it can get pasty if the liquid is too little.  I have no idea what it would be like if the liquid was too much. 

Good stuff:

It has good flavor for oatmeal and I don't feel bad eating it.
I am getting great nutrition and only 300 calories per container.
It is convenient and that is hard to find in gluten free items.
It is ‘Vegan Certified’, and while this is not something that I personally follow I know that it is huge for some people
This is ‘Non GMO (genetically modified)’, meaning that I am eating food the way it should be.
This is also allergy friendly; it has no soy, no dairy, no additives, no preservatives, and no refined sugars.
There were a lot of antioxidants for an easy meal or snack.
It had a good texture.  I really liked the cacao nibs and goji berries.
Even the packaging is completely recyclable.

Undecided:
The price per container is $4.00-$5.00.

Bad stuff:
I didn't like this cereal cold, but that is a personal view.
The packaging does nothing to attract my attention other than the color.
The included spoon is good, but had a tendency to fold on you if you held it wrong.
The liquid amount is a question; there is no indicator to a suggested level.

Overall, I think the good outweighs the bad on this product.  It tends to be a little more expensive than what one would want to pay for a quick meal.  However, it is not so bad when you take a look at current fast food prices.  This is a whole lot better for you than most fast food menu items.

For more information please feel free to visit Vigilant Eats.

Question of the day, at what price does good for you foods become too expensive? 

3 comments:

  1. Healthy food rarely is tasty, lol. Thanks for sharing your honest opinion on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that it's Non-GMO, I'm trying to be extra vigilant when it comes to GMO's in our food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you said it tastes good, thats hard to find =]

    ReplyDelete