[Valid Atom 1.0]

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tamale Recipe

I was told that the Tamale is for celebration.  Therefore I am celebrating the fact that I like tamales.  This recipe is so good and it is gluten free naturally (as long as you don't react to corn).  It takes a lot of time to make and a lot of talent to roll them correctly, as seen by the picture I as of yet do not have the level of talent needed for rolling them correctly.  I was also so impatient to eat them that I almost forgot to take a picture first.  In other news I am being sent my first item to review.  This is hugely exciting for me.  So I guess I do have something to celebrate!

  • 1 pounds beef steak, pork or chicken
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 garlic bulb, cloves removed and peeled
  • 2 ounces pasilla chiles
  • 1 tablespoons salt
  • 2 bags dried corn husks, about 3 dozen
  • 4 cups masa mix
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 cups of warm water
  • 1 cup vegetable shortening

Directions

  • Place beef, chicken or pork into a pot of water with garlic, Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 2 hours.
  • Use gloves to remove stems and seeds from the chile pods. (remember the gloves) Place chiles in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then remove from heat to cool. Transfer the chiles and water to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain the mixture, stir in salt, and set aside. Shred the cooked meat and mix in one cup of the chile sauce.
  • Soak the corn husks in a bowl of warm water. In a large bowl, beat the lard with a tablespoon of the broth until fluffy. Combine the masa, baking powder and salt; stir into the lard mixture, adding more water as necessary to form a spongy dough.
  • Spread the dough out over the corn husks to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Place one tablespoon of the meat filling into the center. Fold the sides of the husks in toward the center and place in a steamer. Steam for 1 hour.
  • Remove tamales from husks and drizzle remaining chile sauce over or use Verda sauce if you wish

No comments:

Post a Comment