[Valid Atom 1.0]

Monday, September 24, 2012

Lumpia, bread and other mistakes



I tried to make GF Lumpia tonight.  I was introduced to the recipe by a friend and fell in love with it.  However, I couldn’t eat it once I discovered I had Celiac since it included soy sauce.  So I tried to make it with gluten free soy sauce.  The filling was fantastic and just right; getting the lumpia to brown was another thing entirely.  They would burn but they wouldn't brown, so they stayed rice looking or they burned.  After hours of work this frustrated me greatly.  I tried using a deep fat fryer for the lumpia first and the roll exploded, ummm OK?  So that didn't work and I moved on the way it said to make them, the temperature was perfect and the stupid things fell apart or wouldn't brown.  I still have no idea what I did wrong, but I will master this recipe with time.  The recipe I used is at the bottom. 





Last night I tried Pamela's bread mixture:  So far this is the best bread mix in regards to texture and crust.  It turned out really well in my bread maker and the instructions were really easy to follow,  It is non-dairy, gluten free, wheat free, and I don't see any soy containing ingredients.  It might be worth a shot.  Not only that they have a whole bunch of recipes on the bag that you can make using the mix.  Like Pie crust, bagels, pizza crust, wheat bread, cheese bread, sweet bread and many others.  Give it a shot if you are looking for something new. 


Recipe time this comes to you from the food network Food Network Lumpia Recipe

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb lean ground pork
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced
1/2 lb green beans, julienned
2 carrots, julienned
1 tbsp soy sauce GF (optional)
1 cup bean sprouts (optional)
15 lumpia wrappers, square or round
Salt to taste

Directions

Heat oil in skillet and saute garlic and onions until tender. Add pork and saute until browned. Add vegetables and cook until tender, yet crisp, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with soy sauce. When mixture is cool, add bean sprouts. Salt to taste.
To assemble lumpia: Carefully separate wrappers. To prevent them from drying out, cover unused wrappers with moist paper towel. Lay one wrapper on clean surface. Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the filling near the edge closest to you. Roll edge towards the middle. Fold in both sides and continue rolling. Moisten opposite edge with water to seal. Repeat with other wrappers. Lumpia can be frozen until ready to use.
Deep fry at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet sour or vinegar and garlic dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment