[Valid Atom 1.0]

Monday, June 10, 2013

Restaurant Series #2 Jason's Deli

Jason's Deli was one of the first places I went to when I became gluten free.  I remembered that they had a gluten free menu and I was right, they had a great one with so many options. However, there is a large issue with this location and it's one they will bring up themselves. 

 The risk for cross contamination is high.  While they do try to keep the food separate, they cannot always guarantee the results. 

 One of the things I like to order is the sandwiches which they offer on gluten free bread (at some locations).  I normally inform whoever is taking the order of my allergy and a manager will make the meal.  However, each meal I get comes with the same warning sticker.  Since it is really hard to read in the photograph however, it says:




“As a service to our guests, this menu and the information on it is provided by Analytical Food Laboratories (AFL),Grand Prairie, TX (an independent testing facility contracted by Deli Management, Inc. d/b/a Jason’s Deli), combined with the ingredient and allergen data from Jason’s suppliers. Jason’s Deli and AFL assume no responsibility for its use and information (which has not been verified by Jason’s Deli). Please be advised that all of our foods are prepared in a common kitchen and that Jason’s Deli cannot guarantee that cross-contact with other gluten-containing products will not occur. As a result, we cannot recommend this for persons with Celiac Disease. Our gluten-free offerings are designed for those with minor gluten sensitivities or those who prefer to avoid gluten for nutritional reasons.”

Some of the offerings that Jason's Deli has includes potatoes, soups, a salad bar, gluten free bread for sandwiches, fruit, gluten free chips and some of them even offer a rice bowl.  None of these items can be guaranteed for safety.  Each one offers a good risk of cross contamination.  

I personally have never been sick at the location I go to.  However, I make sure they know the issue.  The manager always makes my food that this helps to put me at ease.  This doesn’t mean that at some point I won’t get sick. When I do, I will have to stop using them as one of my go-to places for gluten free food.

The best conclusion is that if you have Celiac's or severe gluten intolerance then these locations would not be the best choice.  Eat at your own risk.  However, there are many gluten free things on the menu if you are willing to chance it.  

To take a look at some of the offering please check out Jason's Deli, Gluten Sensitive menu
A better picture or a different warning taken from http://glutenfreedurham.blogspot.com/2011/01/jasons-deli-disclaimer-label.html

No comments:

Post a Comment