[Valid Atom 1.0]

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Magnetic Nail polish

Yeah yeah yeah, I fell into the craze that almost no one seems to know about, Magnetic nail polish.  I got a color to match my dress for a holiday party and then spent two weeks perfecting the technique.

What they tell you to do:

No base coat!
One layer of the nail polish
Quickly apply the magnet without touching the nail to each nail just after you finish the coat
Move on to the next nail. 
It is that easy!!!

Um, nope it was not that easy in fact it didn't work right the first couple of times I tried it.  Then I tried with a clear base coat.  That only made the polish come off like latex paint.  The next thing I tried was a very thin layer.  Finally I got the design but I could see giant spots that I missed, it looked horrible.  Then I tried with a normal nail polish, this had the same issue as with the clear coat, the polish peeled off.  In the end I used a small piece glitter polish underneath.  It didn't matter the color, but it works best with tones that are close.  The reason I tried this is that glitter polish is the hardest to get off my nails.  Then I followed the instructions on the bottle and I ended up with a perfect example of what they show when they advertise it. 

I ended up using Revlon's Star attraction.  The next ones I want to try are OPI's polish and LCN's polish.  I will let you in on a little secret.  While magnetic nail polish has been going for a while very few people know about it or use it.  I went into a nail salon and asked for help and they didn't even know what I was talking about.  Give it a shot it is a fun new way to do nail polish. 

So the steps and advice from me on how to get it to work”
Paint all your nails with a (very small glitter) polish in a shade that is close to the magnetic one.
Allow your nails to dry.
On only one nail, apply the magnetic polish.
While the polish is still really wet, carefully hold the magnet as close as you can without touching the nail.
 Hold for 15 seconds, after that the polish is pretty dry. 
Continue with each nail until you are finished. 
It is important that you work with only one nail at a time.
Otherwise the polish dries and it won't work.
While this is not as easy as they say it is, it is still a neat effect. 

Questions of the day!

Have you ever tried any of the magnetic polishes?  If not are you going to? 
If you have tried them, what did you think?

3 comments:

  1. I have not been able to get this to work! I'm going to try your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried them, but after you told me about them the other day, I did start seeing it in stores. I may give it a shot at some point. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete